for Canon G5X Camera
SKU # ike.6146.05
Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon G5X Camera
Camera not included; shown for illustrative purposes only.
About The Camera
Unlike the G16 and other preceding models, Canon finally gives us TTL flash in Manual mode.
Ikelite products are designed, built and tested in the USA. Ikelite uses locally sourced, top-grade materials. Ikelite housings are built by hand and individually tested for fit, function and waterproof integrity. Ikelite backs its products with over 50 years of experience and service within the dive industry.
A compact mounting tray attaches to the camera's tripod attachment point and slides into the front of the housing simply and securely. The mounting tray features a 1/4-20 tripod mount so that it doesn't need to be removed when you switch to surface photography.
There are two 1/4-20 mounts on the bottom of the housing for secure, rotation-free mounting of an optional tray and handles.
True Canon TTL
An integrated TTL circuit is fine-tuned to Canon's latest flash exposure protocol for the most accurate exposure possible with the Canon PowerShot G5X camera. The circuit is powered by the strobe for zero maintenance and no batteries to change. Exposure compensation in TTL mode is supported using the camera's built-in control. At this time, only Ikelite DS strobes are capable of powering the circuitry. SEA&SEA, INON, and Nikonos strobes will still enjoy fast recycle times and improved battery life, but must be used in manual exposure modes only.
A fast and reliable strobe connection is essential to getting the shot underwater. This housing provides a direct electrical connection to the camera's external flash hot shoe. Cord attachment is as easy as screwing in a lightbulb, and the threaded fit prevents accidental detachment during use. The bulkhead connection has been moved to the top of the housing to keep cords out of your way and reduce strain on the cord ends. A variety of sync cord terminations are available for Ikelite, SEA&SEA, INON, or Nikonos strobes for ultimate versatility.
Two fiber optic ports are built into the front of the housing provide an attachment point for fiber optic cords from most major manufacturers. The camera's built-in flash is suitable for firing an external strobe, but not for lighting a photo underwater. Use of a fiber optic connector requires the camera's built-in flash to fire, bypassing the TTL functionality of the housing.
Serial number requirements
- Ikelite AF35: not compatible
- Ikelite DS50: yes, above serial number 70000
- Ikelite DS51: yes
- Ikelite DS125: yes, above serial number 5000
- Ikelite DS160, DS161: yes
- Ikelite DS200: yes, above serial number 7163
Electrical sync cord compatibility
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite housing TTL Sync Cord (TTL); Ikelite #4103.51
- Ikelite-to-Ikelite housing TTL Dual Sync Cord (TTL); Ikelite # 4103.52
- Sea & Sea or Inon Strobe-to-Ikelite housing Non-TTL Sync Cord (manual control); Ikelite #4118.1
- Dual Sea & Sea or Inon Strobe-to-Ikelite Non-TTL Sync Cord (manual control); Ikelite #4118.2
- Nikonos SB Strobe-to-Ikelite housing Non-TTL Sync Cord (manual control); Ikelite #4116.31
Wide Angle, Macro + Filters
The housing port is designed to accept Ikelite 3.0-inch diameter color filters, and wide angle or macro options with 67mm threads. Light is absorbed very quickly as it passes through water. A subject will look darker, less colorful and somewhat grainy when viewed through even a few feet of water. The addition of a compatible wide angle accessory expands the camera's field of view underwater, providing the opportunity to get as close as possible to the subject and reduce the amount of water light passes through. The results speak for themselves - photos with the best color, exposure and clarity possible.
The Ikelite WD-3 Wide Angle Dome provides mid-range angle of view with no vignetting.
We recommend the Ikelite W30 Wide Angle Lens or Inon UWL-H100 Wide Angle Lens for excellent edge sharpness with minimal vignetting (dark shadows in the corners of the image). Vignetting may be eliminated by either zooming slightly or cropping in post-production.
- Waterproof bulkhead cap
- Silicone lubricant 1cc tube
- 1 year manufacturer warranty
- 200 ft (60m) depth rating
- Controls are not provided for the Diopter Adjustment Dial or Mobile Device Connect button; Mobile devices may be connected through the housing using the camera's menus
- Slightly negative buoyancy in fresh water
- Ikelite bulkhead connector with built-in TTL circuitry
- 1/4-20 thread tray mounting with 3 inch (76 mm) spacing
- Weight 3.3 lb (1500 g) not including tray, handles, or port.
- Dimensions 7.4 x 5.8 x 5.8 in (188 x 147 x 147 mm) including projections
- 3.0-inch diameter glass lens port
Spare Parts, not included:
- 0110 Main o-ring
- 9104.5 Waterproof Bulkhead Cap
- 0200 Port cover
- 9523.10 Tray hardware
- 0184.2 Silicone lubricant resealable 2cc tube